Friday, June 18, 2010

Exploring Value and The Subtractive Color Theory


I had a lot of fun with this project!!

I thought creating the Value Scale was going to be very simple, but it was not as easy as it seemed. The trouble I had was making the darkest shade of black with a graphite pencil. It just did not look black enough to me. As for the lighter shades I had to smudge the pencil with my finger to lighten it You cannot see the white square in this image. The color wheel on the other hand was fairly simple. The watercolors are only annoying in that they can make the paper "soggy" if you do not blot the brush off enough but I enjoyed creating both scales

I enjoyed working with the pencil better because it is something I am more familiar and comfortable with. I have used shading techniques recently when I just sketch. I have not used water colors in such a long time. You can erase pencil but not watercolors!

I think the most important discovery in the study of these color theories is the complementary color theory. By placing the complimentary colors next to one another the colors appear more vibrant.





The most important aspect of the videos to me was to darken colors without black. I have made the mistake of ruining paintings in the past with black and black can overpower the other colors.

1 comment:

  1. I had a little trouble with the color wheel but the value scale wasn't to bad. Your value scale looks good and so does your color wheel as well. It was a fun project to do.

    ReplyDelete